|This accent chair is set up with a pouffe (or footstool) and is best used as a standalone pair. The set can be set up in a cosy corner in the living area where you can curl up and read a book, or in the bedroom.|
- An empty section along a hallway.
- A reading corner in the family room.
- A space across from the 3-seater leather sofa in the living room.
- In the bedroom by the nightstand.
- By the foot of your bed.
- By the fireplace.
- On the patio attached to the house.
So, rather than see an accent chair as just an extra seat, it must be appreciated as an additional decor element that enhances any furniture setup it is being placed by. And when you use two accent chairs, you create a functional zone that can serve as a private conversation zone or as a second seating area.
What ways can you use accent chairs and how do you know the best style chair to choose? Also, how do you know whether to use a single accent chair or a pair and how do you use them to complement an interior concept?
9 Ways to Use Accent Chairs
How you decorate with accent chairs depends on a combination of the overall look you wish to achieve and where you intend to place them. It also depends on the theme and style of the interior space. Is the decor modern, traditional, contemporary, eclectic, etc…? Whichever style chair you decide on must either fit in with the general theme or complement it in a pleasant way.
It is also good to note that you must choose a size that's the right scale with the other furniture within the room. The size of the area within which it will be placed must also be considered. Below, you will find some of the ways you can use accent chairs.
1. Use a pair of accent furniture to create a cosy nook in the corner of a room.
2. As a single decorative element that serves as an enhancing companion for the sofa.
3. Create a second seating area with two accent chairs, a round coffee table, and a table lamp.
4. A seating area in the bedroom using a bench-style accent chair at the foot of a bed. Storage bench seats are great to store linen and the like.
5. To avoid reading, working, or watching TV in bed, create a nook in the bedroom with an accent chair and table. You can pair the accent chair with an ottoman or pouffe.
6. Use an accent chair as a fireplace seat by creating a tranquil place to curl up with a book.
7. Use them as interior décor items that give other furniture pieces a sense of balance.
8. Great as a lone chair in the hallway, or as a pair of seating in a wide empty passageway.
9. Your balcony will look visually appealing when you furnish them with unique accent chairs.
Just as the style you select must be complementary to space, so must the colour, and the fabric pattern and texture. However, most times, you can always go with your gut feeling as there is no hard and fast rule about how furniture accents should be chosen and placed.
|Beautiful Accent Chairs|
Popular Accent Chair Styles
1. Slipper chairs (armless)
2. Wing-back chair (winged sides, tall backs)
4. Tub chairs
5. Bergère (wood frame surround, upholstered seat, and back)
6. Club chair (deep armchair)
7. Chaise longue
8. Rocking chairs
9. Occasional chair (usually arm-less, easy to move around)
|Accent Chair Designs and Style. |
Best Upholstery Fabrics to Make Occasional Chairs
The best kinds of upholstery materials to use for occasional seats vary but the best are natural fabrics like heavyweight cotton, brocade, wool, and silk damask. The only problem with these fabrics is that if the chair is used heavily, the pressure parts wear with time. Fabrics with a combination of natural and synthetic fibres are sturdier, more durable, and longer lasting.
Most designers' and decorators' preferred choice for accent chairs’ upholstery is natural fibres which are often selected for their attractiveness and luxurious comfort. Having said that, man-made synthetic fabrics are harder wearing. So, for whatever purpose the chair is meant for, durability is generally a top concern for most individuals.
Popular fabrics you can use (and you don’t have to be a designer to make an informed decision) include:
- Cotton blends
- Polished cotton
Best rules to follow are:
- Choose the right fabric patterns. If your sofa is a solid colour you can enhance it with accent chairs with bold patterns and prints. A room that is lack-lustre will need some spicing up and the best way to ‘zing-up’ a dull room is by adding patterned accent chairs.
- The chair’s style should not be too divergent from the general theme of the room. Your choice must compliment the other furniture pieces in the room. You’ll need to decide whether it should be a recliner which works well in a contemporary setting or a wing chairs if you have a traditional theme.
- You must choose a complimentary fabric texture. If, for instance, your sofa is upholstered in leather, your accent chairs can be colour coordinated velvet, damask, boldly patterned cotton, or wool.
Shop for unique contemporary-style accent chairs at affordable prices.